Friday, October 17, 2008

Fun with Dick and Jane - the first post-Enron comedy


I love VOD; especially when I workout on my stationary bikes. My tip for motivation is to pick a good movie, and workout every time until the commercials. The next time that you bike, just continue the movie from where you stopped it (the VOD box saves it). That way you'll have a motivation to actually come back to the workout a few hours later, or a day afterwards.
There are not many good movies in Comcast's VOD, but there are some nice comedies. The problem with many of the comedies (especially those in the VOD) is that they are too stupid that they are boring.

Today I saw a movie that surprised me, and had an interesting bottom line.
I took small parts of the review from the New York Times, by By MANOHLA DARGIS, Published: December 21, 2005 that summarize the movie pretty well and that will help me explain you why it interested me while making me laugh.
Here it is -
The documentary "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room" wrested only tragedy from the corporate scandal of its title, but it probably should come as no great surprise that now Hollywood is looking to mine big laughs from the same. Hence the sort-of-new Jim Carrey vehicle "Fun With Dick and Jane," what may be the first post-Enron comedy. Based on the 1977 Me Generation laugh-in of the same title with Jane Fonda and George Segal, this comic redo doesn't so much update the plight of its fast-sinking upwardly mobile couple as dust off the story's central conceit: namely, the flip side of the American dream is a nightmare but, you know, also kind of funny.

BTW - the credits at the end of the movie are also cynic and funny. Remember to look at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment